Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tribute To The Armed Forces May 30, 2010

Every year the Veteran Council presents "A Tribute to The Armed Forces." It is held on Memorial Blvd., in Bristol. Every Branch of the military is represented there and they come from all over the country for this event. Spectators can come and mingle with the Soldiers and veterans and hear their stories. All weaponry, military vehicles and clothing is displayed and you can touch it all, and try it on. Black Hawk and Chinook Helicopters, tanks, body armor, heavy artillery, military camouflaged tents, they were all there. It has been our honor for the past two years to be the only dance team invited to perform at this event.

This Civil War Soldier got a little displaced from his regiment during the Civil War reenactment. We were more than happy to help him relocate his cannon!!


This is CSM Michele Jones. She is the Special Assistant to the Secretary of Defense, White House Liaison. She Was an incredible speaker and an amazing woman. She spoke of America and our freedoms in such a way that it made me cry. She spoke of being in a position of leadership and how that position was not for you, but rather what you can do for others, within your leadership role. Because this years tribute was dedicated to All Women Veterans, we got to spend a lot of time with Michele. In just two short days I learned enough from her to change my life forever.

I had a chance to mingle with the crowd a lot and I made many new friends. This little boy was so anxious to touch every piece of equipment that was on display. I think he liked the army best!










My dance team and myself performed many tribute dances over the week-end. It was such an honor to perform for these brave men and women and their families. The dances we performed were all choreography by Mary Marrone of Reach For The Stars Academy of Dance, each and every one honoring the Soldiers or reflecting on the people left at home. This one is call "A Soldiers Silent Night" and is about Santa Clause coming upon a soldier all alone on Christmas Eve. I played the part of Santa!


This was a tap routine, and was set to a medley of all of the theme songs from each branch of the Military. It was a lot of fun and the audience enjoyed it, because it was so upbeat after all of the sadder songs.
This celebration is my favorite Memorial Day Event. My Grandfather was a decorated WWII Hero and my Dad served during Viet Nam. Having the privilege of spending the 2 days with these amazing "Hero"s" is one I treasure. It gives me a true understanding of what this day is all about and why we should be "Proud to be an American." I look forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment